The Netherlands is one of the market leaders in the superyacht industry and Dutch yacht builders have the experience, the skills and opportunity to construct MCA accredited yachts under a Dutch or foreign (e.g. Red Ensign) flag. Building a boat - but especially a state-of-the-art custom built superyacht - is going through a real learning curve, which sometimes includes surprises in terms of cost overruns, delayed delivery or even a disturbed relationship between the Owner's team and the yard's project manager and management. Our firm has vast experience in all transactional and contentious aspects of building and commissioning a superyacht, whether in the Netherlands or abroad. Our yacht team offers a full range of legal services for new yacht construction, refit and conversion projects. Our services include:
- Drafting and negotiating on the terms and conditions of building contracts and all ancillary documentation such as, but not limited to, specifications, refund guarantees etc. Also should you decide to opt for a custom-series built yacht, we recommend to have us on your side to check the building contract;
- Registration of a yacht under construction as well as (after delivery) in the Ships Registry of your choice;
- Drafting and negotiating on the terms and conditions of a building slot;
- Drafting and negotiating a contract with designers, architects and suppliers of main components (Owner’s deliveries);
- Advice on termination of a building contract;
- Rendering full assistance to the Owner’s team during construction of a yacht until delivery and during the warranty period;
- Litigation on various disputes in respect of the execution of a building contract or a charterparty;
- Advice on VAT-issues (appliance of the zero rate);
- Advice on the Dutch statutory rules for the Commercial Cruising Vessels (CCV);
- Advice on the specific requirements for flying the Dutch flag for small and large yachts, either privately or commercially used;
- Drafting and negotiating on the terms and conditions of various charter parties, should you decide to go commercial.
What others say: Chambers HNW- The World's leading high net worth advisers 2016:
Yachts & Superyachts - Global-wide
"Van Steenderen is a boutique shipping firm based in Rotterdam. The Netherlands is one of the largest markets for yacht building and Van Steenderen has a well-established superyacht practice. One international lawyer says the firm has "established itself as the most recognisable Dutch firm in this industry."
Van Steenderen has vast experience in all transactional and contentious aspects of building and commissioning superyachts. It is particularly noted for its work with the major Dutch yacht builders, but it also handles international work. One source explains that the firm "represents some of the world's most prominent shipyards." The yacht team offers a full range of legal services for new yacht purchase, construction, refit and conversion projects. Sources say the team is "always very prompt and does very good work."
Arnold Van Steenderen is a key contact for the yacht team."